Saturday, April 30, 2005

One step forward

Despite having ridden motorbikes and driven plastic pigs ( Reliant 3 wheelers for those of you looking baffled... like in Only Fools and Horses... got it?) for thirty years or so I (Neil that is) have never got round to getting a license to drive a proper four wheel car! Having looked at Marvin it slowly dawned on me that , yup, he did have a wheel at each corner and unless I could convince Jan to drive all the way I better get something done about it and pretty quick! A quick scan of the internet found me drive-in-a-week.com which sounded just what I needed. A few emails later I was booked for 16 hours tuition followed by the dreaded test. So this Tuesday I drove down to Newcastle under Lyme and booked into a great B&B recommended by Steve at the driving school and after a night spent reading "How to pass your driving test"... ok 5 minutes looking at the pictures.. it was time for my first stint in the car. 8am straight into the rush hour traffic...lovely!!! But after my first 5 hours Steve had got me to slow down to somewhere near the speed limit, look in the mirrors now and again etc and I was feeling more confident. As the time wound down towards my test my driving swung between the almost perfect to the down right laughable and on my mock test I managed to drive straight past a 50mph sign at 60, reverse round a corner straight up the curb, change from 3rd gear to 5th... then 1st and parkup across two bays at the test centre. But Steve got me back on track and after a problem free test I emerged the proud owner of a full UK driving license!
YIPPEEE!!!!!!!!!!
so if any of you need to learn to drive you could do a lot worse than contacting Steve Bradshaw at www.drive-in-a-week.com . Oh and a big thanks to John and Hazel at the Graythwaite Guest House ...www.s-h-systems.co.uk/hotels/grayth.html try them out.. best breakfast ever!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home